Drink to Write

Once upon a time I wrote a book. While writing that book I had a dry spell. I spent days unable to get a single word upon the page. Then I drank a glass of wine. A few glasses later there were eleven pages, and a completed rough draft.

In that moment I realized why so many authors are alcoholics.* Drinking releases your inhibitions. It wipes your fear. You can make a fool of yourself, and you don't give a shit. The blank page is no longer your enemy. You no longer fear its judgement.

This is why so many great drunks are authors.

This is why I haver not written another book.

*In the words of Hemingway, "Write drunk. Edit sober."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running With Urgency

California Drought: It's Been Real (7/22)

Why does bigotry feel like an affront?